Left to Right: Casie Nishi (Executive Director Wellness Institute), Rhea Vaags-Olfson, (Chronic Disease Coordinator, Wellness Institute), Dr. Hardeep Mahal, Dr. Scott Donald, Dr. Shuangbo Liu, Dr. Thang Nguyen (Attending Cardiologist), Dr. Russell Fernandes, Dr. Karen Chu and Dr. Bilal Ayach
2. Calling All Former HSC INTENSIVE CARE Staff: In 2017, the ICU at HSC Winnipeg is celebrating 50 years of care. They want to share celebration information with as many past and present members of the HSC ICU team as possible. If you, or someone you know, worked with or at HSC’s ICU in past years, kindly forward names and contact information to Donna Henry at email@example.com. Congratulations to HSC ICU!
3. Dr. Shelley Zieroth was featured, along with Dr. Thomas Netticadan, on the CJOB Health Report on February 26th in an episode about heart health. They were discussing how compounds found in red wine, specifically resveratrol, may promote heart health.
4. Dr. Rakesh Arora, Dr. Shelley Zieroth and Ms Andrea Edel travelled as part of a group of approximately 20 researchers from Winnipeg to Ben Gurion University of the Negev in Israel last week. The Cardiac Sciences researchers had the honour to be part of a research collaborative involving the St. Boniface Hospital Foundation and the Ben Gurion University. They had the opportunity to network and explore the potential for joint research initiatives.
5. Wednesday, March 15 has been designated World Delirium Day by iDelirium, an international consortium of organizations dedicated to fostering research, education, quality improvement, advocacy and application of knowledge to minimize the impact of delirium on short and long term health and well-being.
On this day, all health care professionals are asked to take one action to help raise awareness of delirium. You could teach a student about delirium, talk to a patient/family member/colleague about delirium, or screen a patient for delirium. Information sheets are available that could be posted or distributed in your workplace (one is for health professionals and one for family members).
For more information, visit http://www.idelirium.org
6. COMINGS & GOINGS:
- We welcome Aleksandra Kaminska to the program! She will start today as a Unit Assistant in the Cardiac Clinics.
- Also welcome to Kathryn Braun, who will be working as a casual NP to the Cardiac Sciences Program. She starts tomorrow!
- A farewell celebration was held last week for Irene Marlatt, a Unit Assistant in the Cardiac Clinics who retired. Her last day was March 9th.
7. Congratulations to principal investigator Dr. Davinder Jassal, who along with coapplicants Dr. Iain Kirkpatrick (Dept. of Radiology) and Dr. Michael Czubryt (Dept. of Physiology and Pathophysiology), received the Diagnostic Services Manitoba Operating Grant 2017 for their work on a study titled Scleraxis as a biomarker for cardiac fibrosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.